Thursday, February 12, 2009

Reminiscence

Again, today I find myself with "extra time" or.... I got sick of studying, so I decided to do another post. Yesterday's post got me thinking about Egypt and all of the good times. There was one story in particular some of you know, others may not, that I thought would be good to share.

After the amazing two week trip to Egypt, I spent a day in D.C. with my sister Leslie before I flew back to Utah. My luggage included my backpacking pack that I used all throughout the trip, plus a small duffel bag where I placed the valuable treasures I bought in the famous Khan el Khalili Market. I had a Rababa for Holly (the first picture below: a string instrument, nice fit for Holly, I know) some Zatar spice divided into little baggies (second picture below: some merchant convinced us it was awesome) and a few other keep-sakes.



As I was going through security at Reagan Airport on my way back to Utah the next day, a TSA agent informed me, "Sir, I am going to inspect your bag." Since the Rababa was so long it was sticking out of the top of the bag. He told me, "Sir, there is a long metal rod through the shaft of this." I responded, "Ok......." He went on to explain that there might be some issue with that on the plane. As he continued to search my duffel bag he came across the bow that you use to play the instrument. He asked, "What is that? I explained it was the bow for the instrument but for some odd reason he was skeptical. I even started to play it in the middle of the airport to show him! After that he said, "Well, I'm going to have to show this to my supervisor" Again my response was, "Ok....." A minute or so he came back and said, "Well, since you don't have any arrows, you can take it on the plane." You can only imagine the picture that came to my mind of someone trying to take over a plane with a 6 inch bow and tiny arrows.....anyways.


After that lovely exchange of words he continued to go through my bag when he came to the little baggies of Zatar spice. He looked at the bags, then at me, then back at the bags. I quickly responded, "That isn't what you think it is."

6 comments:

Marty said...

Things like this will follow you your whole life Brad like you and Holly showing your ID's as proof of age. Thank goodness for your innocence though...Besides this was entertaining and I need to pass the time while Les is bringing little Mary into the world.
NP

Unknown said...

What a great story Brad. Your kids will love knowing their Dad was once suspected of being a terrorist and a smuggler all in one day.

Megan said...

Best Times EVER!

Leslie said...

lololo, I'm so with Meg! Oh the memories!

Wendy said...

Ha! The visual of you as a terrorist overtaking the plane with a tiny bow and arrow was priceless. And then picturing your face when he thought you had drugs in your bag too was even better.

The Walkers said...

Oh my! Lance and I have been laughing hysterically at this post. Great story :) We need to all play soon.