Monday, February 28, 2011

Creativity can be very useful





Lilia had a mystery fever that didn't go away for over a week. She didn't have any other symptoms so finally the doctor decided it could be a urinary tract infection. He decided this at 3pm on a Saturday which meant....oh hold on, Lilia is awake. Okay I'm back and it is now 6 hrs. later in the day...I don't know why but somehow life goes by very fast when you have an attention span of a 7 month-old. Anyway, my doctor told me I needed to get a urine sample but since it was Saturday they couldn't give me the baggy thing from their office to collect the urine and he doesn't like to do a catheter unless he has to. He told me if I can tell when she is going to go to try to catch it in a cup. I said "okay," but in my mind I thought "are you kidding me?"

The next day, Sunday I thought all morning about how I was going to do this because let's face it. She can't even stand on her own, how was I going to hold her up and hold a cup for an hour under her little who-who until she went pee? I decided to wash a casserole dish and sanitize it as best I could, I did the same with her little bum and I sat her in the dish on the floor and played toys with her (and said a little prayer) until she went! Now I know all of you medical people are saying in your head "now that's not a clean sample"...and yes, I agree. But according to the tests it was still more useful to have a sketchy sample than none at all.

Luckily she started medication on Monday and her fever of 8 days went away on Wednesday. We did however do a follow-up urine sample today, which was interesting...at one point she spit up in the dish so I had to start all over with the sanitizing. Oh I love being a mom.

This one is all blurry because my camera is a piece. But it caught the "motion" of the moment which I thought you would enjoy. And yes, that is her mouth open as wide as it will go.


On a happier note here are some great pictures my friend Tabitha took of Lilia. She is very talented as you can see!















Also, I thought I would do a little shout out for Bradley James and all of his hard work studying. He was feeling bad that Lilia was the only one I blogged about so I thought this would cheer him up :)
This is a picture of Brad with our cousin Zach (he is married to my cousin Emily) in front of the capitol building. He is applying for med school and we are all crossing our fingers that they end up as our neighbors.

12 comments:

Leslie said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! The pictures make the story even more hysterical if that was even possible! I love it! The pictures your friend took are priceless, oh that Lilia, such a beauty. I love them all!

Kendra said...

I love those chunky rolls! And what a great idea with the dish. I would have thought the doctor was crazy too saying to catch it. Please! Way to improvise. I love those pictures your friend took. They are precious! And way to go Brad on all the hard work and studying! :)

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha ha! Way to use your creative problem solving skills, Holly! Nothing better than a naked baby in a casserole dish. It's a good thing she is a girl, or the specimen would have landed far from the collection tray ;) She is such a doll!! Preston started cooing and smiling as I scrolled through those sweet pictures your friend took . . . I think he must have a little crush!

Unknown said...

Holly, a few comments:
1. The Doctor was an idiot
2. You are a genius coming up with that collection method
3. Your friend takes great pictures
4. Brad is a star
And I'm done

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh! I could not stop laughing when i looked at these pictures!!! Very creative indeed! I'm sure Lilia was like, "Uhhhh....what are we doing here?" I wish I could've been there! And I love the pictures your friend took--they turned out so cute! And good job, Brad. Keep up the good work! I think it would be so fun to have Emily and Zack there with you guys!

P.S. Richard's comments made me laugh too--maybe I'm in a weird mood, but this whole thing was just funny!

Christy Gunnell said...

Seriously Lilia is so, so cute! I love the pictures!! And I couldn't stop laughing about your creative geniusness. I'm glad you caught a shot of her mid-pee. Priceless!

Unknown said...

Oh.My.Goodness...look at those rolls! She's so perfect I love it! And those pictures of her turned out so cute! :)
Good job Brad!!! Yay for med school and studying.!. :)

Tamara said...

okay, the "clean catch" pictures are hilarious. that is why you are great holly, innovative ideas like that don't just come to us normal folk. i hope you washed that dish before the next brownie sundae party.

Melissa said...

LOL!! That is so funny. I have been so busy I haven't read blogs lately. Lilia has totally filled out. I just think is the cutest little thing! With five kids I have never had to catch pee before in a baby that little. I think our idea is genius! Hee hee!! That is too funny. I am still chuckling about it. BTW I love the pictures your friend took. She is a doll. That would be so cool if Zack and Emily got to come out by you.

Oblad girl said...

K seriously so funny. We were trying to figure out what the 13x9 pan was about - way to be creative. =) LOVE the pictures of Lilia! She is beautiful. And it is good to see that Brad is so studious.

Lee and Khyra said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and your little girl is so so so adorable!!!! Hope you guys are doing well!!

Chelsea said...

hi holly - your baby is adorable and you are a genius at collecting baby pee! hope you're doing well!